FC Bayern Munich goes into the World Cup break with a lead of at least four points. In the Saturday evening game of the 15th match day of the Bundesliga, the record champions defeated FC Schalke 04, bottom of the table, 2-0 (1-0) thanks to another gala by Jamal Musiala. Musiala prepared both goals.
- The goals for Bayern Munich came from Serge Gnabry and Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting, both from Musiala’s fine assists.
- All eleven players in FC Bayern Munich’s starting XI in the match at the Schalke Arena are in their respective countries’ World Cup squads. At FC Schalke, only the Japanese Atsuto Uchida travels to Qatar (for Japan).
- Joshua Kimmich stood in for Josip Stanišić in the back four at FC Bayern Munich. The 22-year-old homegrown player, who is also part of the Croatian squad for the World Cup, was suffering from tonsillitis and was substituted on. A few hours before the game against Schalke kicked off, Bayern announced the premature extension of Stanišić’s contract.
- Musiala has already completed his 100th competitive game for Bayern Munich – the 19-year-old has broken another record.
- Bayern coach Julian Nagelsmann admitted before the game that he was annoyed by the reports about him in the preliminary round.
- Sidi Sané made his Bundesliga debut at Schalke in the 66th minute. The 19-year-old is the brother of Bayern star Leroy Sané – who had already been replaced when Sidi Sané was substituted on.
FC Schalke 04 – FC Bayern Munich: The analysis
Although right-back Josip Stanišić, who is suffering from tonsillitis, was initially on the bench, Bayern coach Julian Nagelsmann remained true to the 4-2-3-1 formation he had favored in recent weeks. Joshua Kimmich moved from midfield to the back four on the right; an option for the national coach Hansi Flick probably robbed for the World Cup in Qatar through his squad decisions.
As was to be expected, Kimmich interpreted his right-back role very offensively – the record champions basically had six offensive players on the pitch. In front of keeper Manuel Neuer, the three “right” defenders and Leon Goretzka on the six, Kimmich and the offensive free spirits Jamal Musiala, Kingsley Coman, Leroy Sané, Serge Gnabry and Eric-Maxim Choupo-Moting tried to twirl.
But for a long time it was just an attempt. Bayern found it difficult against the attentively defending and well-established Schalke, the offensive stars regularly got stuck. It wasn’t until the 26th minute before Bayern got the ball on target for the first time. But midfielder Tom Krauss cleared Gnabry’s header, which was also not very well placed, with his thigh.
Gnabry did better in the 38th minute: with a well thought-out pass to Kimmich, he suddenly opened up a space in the last third, which he ran into himself. Meanwhile, the ball landed over Kimmich at Musiala, who played the ball, which was difficult to accept, dreamily with the heel a little too far on Gnabry, but who made a small dangling movement at top speed and hammered the ball into the goal with his left foot.
It was Gnabry’s eighth goal of the season (four in the last two games), which is in top form in time for the World Cup. Musiala has been like that since the first matchday, in the second half the 19-year-old made his second assist of the day with a well-considered cross pass to Choupo-Moting. Later, only an offside position prevented Bayern’s best team from scoring their own goal.
In the middle of the second half, Kimmich was allowed to return to his original position in central midfield, Benjamin Pavard moved into the back four, and Matthijs de Ligt came off the bench. Nagelsmann later gave Stanišić a bit of match practice before the World Cup.
Schalke continued the upward trend of the last few weeks under new coach Thomas Reis, but they go into the winter break bottom of the table behind Reis’ former club VfL Bochum.
FC Schalke 04 – FC Bayern Munich: The line-ups
FC Schalke 04: Schwolow – Brunner, Yoshida, Matriciani, T. Mohr – Kral, Krauss, Drexler, Bülter, Karaman – Terodde.
FC Bayern Munich: Neuer – Kimmich, Pavard, Upamecano, Hernandez – Musiala, Goretzka, L. Sané, Coman, Gnabry – Choupo-Moting.
FC Schalke 04 – FC Bayern Munich: The data for the game
Gates: 0-1 Gnabry (38′), 0-2 Choupo-Moting (52′)
The star of the game: Jamal Musiala (FC Bayern Munich)
At 19 years and 259 days, is now the youngest player since the Bundesliga was founded to reach 100 competitive games for Bayern. Assisted the two goals and also recorded good deep ball wins. Only a narrow offside position prevented him from scoring a goal himself after accepting the ball. Nevertheless: The next Musiala Gala.
The flop of the match: Kenan Karaman (FC Schalke 04)
Don’t get me wrong: There was no real flop in the disciplined Schalke team. And Schalke’s right winger also fired two shots. But Karaman found it very difficult against Lucas Hernández, lost five of his six duels and rarely got the ball. Schalke was the first to go down after less than an hour.
The referee: Felix Zwayer
Fair game, unobtrusive referee. That’s how it should be.